Tuesday, October 27, 2009

SEMAINE DE MODE MONTRÉAL

It has been quite some time since I made a blog entry but it is all in the name of an adequate enough reason. I was busy planning my big move to Montréal the fashion hub of North America. I arrived just little over a month ago and I was lucky enough to catch fashion week here and compile my little bits of research about what’s hot in this ubër stylish city.

Fashion week was very impressive here, it was held in the beautiful Marché Bonsecours, situated in the Vieux Port of the city. The fashion week staff were very helpful and welcoming to the new Irish girl in the city! They gave me a media pass therefore I was able to gain access to Le Showroom and view the collections as well as chat with the Montreal based designers. I was also lucky enough to catch a conference about Berlin fashion called “Berlin en route to becoming a fashion metropolis” (I thought Berliners already had that one established!).


The first designer I encountered was called Valerie Dumaine, I detoured over to her collection when a very graphic print dress caught my eye. In addition, she was very welcoming and was delighted to talk me through her collection. She directed me to visit two stores in Montréal which she highly recommended as having strong concepts and cutting edge design. Reborn in the old port was her first suggestion, I had heard about this store before arriving here because it stocks a large selection of avant garde European designers. Unicorn on Boulevard Saint Laurent was her second recommendation.



Next up I checked out Eve Gravel who had a very feminine collection of floral summer skirts and tops adorned with bows, ruffles and came in a colour palette of nude, whites and stone. I will have to venture over to Unicorn store to view her current winter collection and continue my search for a super warm but equally stylish winter coat.

Barilà was next port of call, a very soft leather dress stood out in the collection. Sabrina one part of the sister design duo, informed me that it was vegan leather but it was from their current collection. The SS/10 collection was being ushered off in time for their fashion show that evening, which she kindly invited me to. I happily attended the show to see more from this wonderful collection. The Barilà show will be reviewed in my next blog entry. TBC.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome back to blogging and good luck in Montreal. Are you there for good? Lx.

    ReplyDelete